Fill out this application to be considered for a fall 2017 BUILD Literacy Mentor position. Mentors either earn an hourly wage through Work-Study, earn field studies units, or serve as volunteers. Before submitting an application, read the BUILD Mentor Job Description. For the short answers below, we recommend writing your responses in a Word document, and saving it before inputting, as answers will be lost if you view a prior page. If you have any questions, please contact BUILDLiteracy@berkeley.edu.
New Applicants: Fill out all questions below
Returning Mentors: Fill out all fields except the "Short Answers" at the end.
Are you a transfer student?
If you selected "I do not identify with the above options", or would like to provide details about your gender identity, please do so
What would be an ideal site for you, considering age group preferences and languages that you speak:--None--A Berkeley site serving elementary school youthAn Oakland site serving elementary school youthA site that serves Spanish speaking or bilingual youthMiddle SchoolNo Preference - Place me where I am most needed
Before listing your site preferences below, click here to see all site locations.
Please be sure you can make the available hours (if hired for Work-Study, you must be available at least 2 days/week at one site).
Please List your Daily Availability to Mentor Below
Have you worked with BUILD or Summer BUILD before?
If you are a current BUILD mentor skip to #5
1. Why are you interested in being a BUILD mentor?
2. Describe your past experience working with youth or tutoring:
3. Describe two skills you would bring to your work as a mentor and give examples of how you've applied these skills in the past:
4. What skills do you think you will need to learn to be successful in this position?
5. What extra-curricular activities are you currently involved in?
6. Do you agree to the BUILD requirements outlined on the BUILD Job Description?