Support for Faculty
American Cultures Engaged Scholarship Program
The Public Service Center partners with the American Cultures Center to support faculty in developing new or revised American Cultures courses that integrate community engaged scholarship. Faculty are selected as Chancellor's Public Scholars and receive a $3,000 research grant, $1,500 for project needs, training, staff consulting services, and a paid student fellow to support the development of the community partnership project. Applications are released 1–2 times per year (usually in September and April), and will be available on the American Cultures Engaged Scholarship (ACES) webpage.
Additional Support for Course Development
The Public Service Center provides a comprehensive Toolkit for Designing Community-Based Courses, which you can use as a starting point.
We can also assist you with:
- Identifying placement sites for your students
- Setting up community partnerships
- Guiding you through campus requirements, including experiential learning guidelines for risk management
- Incorporating ways to sustain the course and/or project
- Connecting you with colleagues in the fields of engaged scholarship and community-based research
- Center for Teaching and Learning: supports UC Berkeley faculty in course development
- Campus Compact: a coalition with resources in support of campus civic engagement
- Community-Campus Partnerships for Health: offers a Community-Based Participatory Research Curriculum and mor
- Imagining America, Artists & Scholars in Public Life: offers reports for community-based arts, design, and humanitie
- TRUCEN: this network of Research 1 institutions offers an Engaged Scholarship Toolkit and models for student engagement
Please note that community-based experiences in courses must include options accessible to students with disabilities. The Disabled Students Program is available to help resolve any challenges involving students with disabilities, including issues related to off-campus activities and wheelchair access.
Resources for Staff
Sign up for our monthly student updates if you would like to know about public service opportunities for your students. (Sign up through "Sign Up for Student Updates" sidebar on the left.)
Tell us about public service events and opportunities offered through your department and we’ll help spread the word through our social media channels.
Plan a one-time volunteer event for your department/team using our best practices for a one-time event.
Staff Volunteer Opportunities
Find a volunteer opportunity for yourself in the community through our VolunteerMatch database.