Established in 2010, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program at UC Berkeley is a year-long program that prepares student volunteers to file taxes for low- and moderate-income earning individuals and families in the East Bay. VITA students prepare for the IRS-sponsored VITA Certification Exam and learn about beneficial tax policies in relation to socioeconomic inequality in the fall, then volunteer at community tax preparation sites in the spring.
- Application for VITA 2022-2023 is currently closed. Please check in August for 2023-2024 application.
Tax Filing Resources
Our VITA program is NOT a tax filing service.
If you do need assistance filing out your taxes, we recommend you checking out the following resources:
VITA leaders receive the prestigious Chancellor’s Award for Public Service
The VITA program has benefited from the generous support of the Associated Students of the University of California.
For tax filing help, please refer to the above Tax Filing Resource section. For partnership and general questions about our program, please contact the student directors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aileen Pagdanganan, Program Manager
- Brianna Tran, DeCal and Training Student Director
- Christian Alejandro, DeCal and Training Student Director
- Sage Kasick, Community Partnerships Program Director
2016 DeCal class