Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau Recognition Awards for Service to Undocumented and Underrepresented Students
Annually, thousands of students, staff, and faculty devote hundreds of thousands of hours to direct service to the community, and even more hours to research and partnerships that serve the public interest. As part of the Chancellor’s Awards for Public Service, which honors individuals and groups for their exceptional commitment and dedication to public service, Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau are offering two Recognition Awards for Service. Both awards include a $1,000 award for the recipient in recognition of their work. These awards will be presented at the annual Chancellor’s Awards for Public Service ceremony.
- Nominee is a currently registered undergraduate or graduate student (including students who will graduate in December).
- Undocumented and underrepresented students, and student allies, are eligible. Candidates can be nominated by others or may nominate themselves.
- Nominee demonstrates a sustained, positive, and meaningful commitment to serving undocumented immigrants or underrepresented communities, inside or outside campus.
- Nominee demonstrates meaningful, deep commitments to this issue area and the community they are serving.
- Sufficient information is provided in the nomination to get a sense of the individual’s or program’s accomplishments. The committee will not review material outside the nomination, including links to articles or websites. Instead, please summarize any important points from these external sources.
- The nominator has provided all required information and submitted on time.
- Please note: Award recipients are NOT considered differently based on number of nominations and the selection is not based on number of nominations for an individual. If multiple parties are considering nominating the same person, please submit ONE succinct nomination form from all parties. Last year’s winners are not eligible.
Award Descriptions & Nomination Prompts
The Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau Recognition Award for Service to Undocumented Students honors an undergraduate or graduate undocumented student, or student ally, who has performed exemplary service pertaining to undocumented communities.
The Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau Recognition Award for Service to Underrepresented Students honors an undergraduate or graduate underrepresented student, or student ally, who has performed exemplary service pertaining to underrepresented communities.
The following information overviews the content nominators will be asked to complete on the nomination form:
- Describe the work of the nominee and the impact of the nominee’s service. How does it benefit undocumented or underrepresented students
- Why is the nominee’s work important to them? How has the nominee demonstrated meaningful commitment to this work and community?
- Has the nominee received other awards for this work? If so, please specify.